- Are these products REALLY as good for you as they say
- The trick being played on you by the pharmaceutical industry
- Revealed – natural remedies that don’t come with side-effects and addiction!
So you wake in the morning with a sore throat and headache…
What do you do?
Well, you might be like those many millions of Brits who go marching down to the chemist and buy one of the many over-the-counter medicines available.
Your pharmacy is a veritable Willy Wonka’s factory these days – piled high with colourful, alluring packages promising instant remedies and cures.
…These things are all there to help you, they say… and not to line the pockets of pharmaceutical companies.
Of course, we’re not fooled, right? It’s a mega industry. More of us use non-prescription, over-the-counter medicines than ever before. Over in the USA, these account for most of ALL the medications used!
But why complain? It’s medicine! It’s there to take the strain off the doctors and make you feel better.
…Well no, not necessarily.
The nation is become dangerously reliant on artificial quick fix remedies. They’re so easy and available, and we’re not given the full picture of the potential downsides.
There are signs of discontent, however…
Keith Humphries, cabinet member for public health and protection, said in 2014: “The problem of addiction to over-the-counter or prescribed medicine is not generally understood by people as well as other common addictions. It is important that people realise how addictive over-the-counter and prescribed drugs can be.”
But don’t expect comments like these to change anything. The industry is too big and powerful. This is the system nowadays.
Reaching for the bottle of pills or the tube of chemical lotion is encouraged by advertising, press coverage and even doctors themselves.
And look, we understand the need to relieve pressure on the NHS…
…But is this the real reason?
At the People’s Doctor, we believe that we’re being sold into an increasing reliance on addictive medication – not always for our own good, but for industrial level profits.
It doesn’t get any better when you look at prescription drugs…
For instance, over ten million prescriptions are written out every year for sedatives like diazepam, lorazepam, temazepam and nitrazepam.
Not only do these become highly addictive, but a study in the British Medical Journal in 2014, found that people who took these drugs for even a few weeks were 51% more likely to get Alzheimer’s, compared with people who had never taken them.
It’s not always the case that a drug = good.
There are alternatives we want to share with you over the coming months…
- Holistic approaches to good overall health – rather than popping a pill you can have a hot bath, get an early night, drink plenty of water, eat some fresh fruit and make a tea from natural herbs that can be equally as effective… without the addiction!
- Home remedies using natural ingredients – Ask yourself, if you have a cough, do you really need a bottle of expensive pink cough expectorant…? Or would a mug of hot water with lemon and thyme, plus a spoonful of raw honey be just as effective? If you have trouble sleeping, instead of reaching for the pills, Valerian is a natural sedative that can work as well as drugs. Passion Flower lowers anxiety. While Chaste Tree increases your body’s melatonin production, which helps you sleep. None of these are habit forming. For two brilliant guides to creating your own home medicines from every day ingredients, I recommend The Lemon Book, The Honey Garlic and Vinegar Miracle and The Spice Healer
- Complimentary therapies like acupuncture, or daily health practices like meditation, yoga and pilates.
- Dietary changes to boost your immune system, relieve pain and inflammation an calm your nerves. This doesn’t mean starving yourself or giving up the good stuff – these can include tasty foods you love
- Natural supplements that bring together herbs, nutrients and foods that might ordinarily be hard to get hold of.
If you want to know more, please keep an eye out in your inbox over the next few weeks. I and the research team at The People’s Doctor are gathering together some practical steps you can take to feel younger, healthier and more pain free… without relying on over-the-counter potions and medical prescriptions.
In the meantime, here’s a reminder that our new website is now up and running. It might look a bit spare right now, as we’ve only just started.
However, you can say you were here right at the beginning!
And remember, tell your friends about us, as we’d love to build an army of people who are willing to take control of their own health and change their lives for the better. You can pass on this page, where they can sign up for these emails.
The more, the merrier….
Or perhaps it’s better to say – the more, the healthier!
Visit our website here.
The People’s Doctor